In this episode of the How to Succeed in Product Management Podcast, marketing professor Jeff Shulman and The Product Management Center advisory board member Red Russak welcome Marily Nika (Imperial College London) and Matt Hulett (PetMeds) to talk about what it takes to become an AIPM. Do you need a technical background to become one? Do you need to be an engineer? Or do you have to be both an engineer and MBA holder? Our panel today shows us why we need to become ready to switch to a new skill set and learn to take on a different role when we it comes to machine learning and product management.
Support for How to Succeed in Product Management is brought to you by Apptentive, which enables product managers to measure shifts in customer emotion and gather actionable feedback across the mobile customer journey. To learn more, go to Apptentive.com/UW.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 04:22 What does AI or ML mean for PMs?
- 10:41 You don’t need a technical background to become an AIPM
- 13:50 How to become ready to switch to a new skill set
- 18:16 What are the characteristics that makes you a good AIPM
- 30:45 Which would you like to work best with?
- 33:47 Work on things that you’re passionate about
- 42:26 Do you need an MBA to be a great PM?
- 45:25 If we are all generalists, how do we bring niche products to life?
- 49:52 Building confidence to ask thoughtful questions