In this episode of the How to Succeed in Product Management Podcast, marketing professor Jeff Shulman and The Product Management Center advisory board member Red Russak and Soumeya Benghanem welcome Valery (Larry) Karpiyevich (Store No. 8) to talk about why soft skills matter in product management. Technical knowledge, background, and field experience are key points to have but the ability to motivate, unite, and keep the team working together despite challenges and difficulties along the way is as valuable as any other skill.
Support for How to Succeed in Product Management is brought to you by Apptentive, which enables product managers to measure shifts in customer emotion and gather actionable feedback across the mobile customer journey. To learn more, go to Apptentive.com/UW.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 08:52 The importance of soft skills for PMs
- 14:36 Listen without judgment
- 16:36 Ways to improve your listening skills
- 24:23 How to support your team’s mental health
- 35:21 Tools and frameworks to drive inclusivity
- 38:40 Style and frameworks for managing stakeholders
- 46:21 Our concluding thoughts