In this episode of the How to Succeed in Product Management Podcast, marketing professor Jeff Shulman and The Product Management Center advisory board members Red Russak and Soumeya Benghanem welcome Jenne Pierce (University of Washington) and Jason Jaingue (Walmart Global Tech) to talk about flourishing in the eCommerce space. The most important metric for all PMs trying to break through in the eCommerce industry and for those who are already in the space is to become a customer. The level of obsession to customer experience is what makes or breaks a product manager’s success.
*Guests are speaking on their own behalf and all opinions expressed are their own.
Support for How to Succeed in Product Management is brought to you by Apptentive, which enables product managers to measure shifts in customer emotion and gather actionable feedback across the mobile customer journey. To learn more, go to Apptentive.com/UW.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 08:49 Calculating the lifetime value
- 12:38 NPS is the first focus in eCommerce
- 14:42 The actual experience of customers determines it all
- 18:27 Understanding how to dig into usage metrics
- 25:24 3 key marketing area trends
- 33:07 Best in class from a product approach and strong product teams
- 37:22 Distinction between eCommerce and social commerce
- 40:56 Handling SEO change in relation to road mapping
- 45:28 Seeing results when you extend over into eCommerce
- 47:46 Obsession over customer journey and staying flexible
- 50:29 Our concluding thoughts